Eileen Blackey Fellowship Guidelines
The Eileen Blackey Doctoral Fellowship is awarded based on the projected annual earnings to the fund and contributions. In recent years, the fellowship has been awarded in the amount of $4,000 to $6,500. One fellowship is awarded to a social work doctoral candidate whose dissertation focuses on welfare policy and practice. Dissertations that include a diversity component are encouraged. Diversity is taking on broader meaning and includes race and ethnicity, as well as the sociocultural experiences of people of different genders, social classes, religious and spiritual beliefs, sexual orientation, ages, and physical and mental abilities.
The fellowship award will be disbursed directly to the recipient's university. Funds in the amount of $500 will be earmarked for conferences and professional development. As part of the award, the recipient will be expected to attend and participate in NASW's National Leadership Conference in 2021 and submit a final dissertation to the NASW Foundation upon completion. Expenses for conferences and professional development must be approved through the NASW Foundation and funds will not be disbursed directly to the recipient.
Application Requirements For The Eileen Blackey Doctoral Fellowship
- NASW member in good standing. Awardee must remain a member in good standing throughout the award period.
- Application form.
- Three-page proposal summary (double-spaced). The summary must include objectives of the project, statement of relevance and significance, project design and methodology, the expected dissertation completion date, and itemized budget. If the applicant's university requires an administration fee to process and administer the award, the maximum amount that can be paid with fellowship funding for this indirect expense is 10% of the total of the award..
- Written statement from doctoral dissertation chair verifying doctoral candidacy.
- Student profile or curriculum vitae.
- Signed release of information.
Only completed applications will be considered. Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- relevance and timeliness of project, i.e., need in the field;
- quality of project design; and,
- potential for completion.
Questions should be directed to: email@example.com.